Watch video: How do you know when someone is lying

0

According to a research, people lie in one in five of their daily interactions. Interestingly, most of us lie to paint a better picture of ourselves. We lie to hide some facts and exaggerate others.

Science says, it’s possible to know someone is lying because our conscious mind controls only 5% of our cognitive function, including communication. The other 95% is beyond our awareness. When somebody is telling us a story that includes more fiction than truth, there is a visible change in the sentence formation.

According to a video by TED-ed, a technology known as linguistic text analysis helps to identify four such common patterns in the subconscious language of deception.

First, liars refer to themselves less, while making deceptive statements. They write or talk more about others, often using the third person to distance and disassociate themselves from the lie. For example, you can definitely make out which sentence is true and which is not – ‘Absolutely no party took place at this house’, ‘I didn’t host a party here’.

Second, liars tend to be more negative because on a subconscious level, they feel guilty about lying. A liar would say something like – Sorry my stupid phone battery died. I hate that thing’, to cover up his inability to take your call.

Third, liars typically explain events in simple terms since our brains struggle to build a complex lie. A US president famously said: ‘I did not have sexual relations with that woman.’

People who lie tend to use longer and more convoluted sentence structure inserting unnecessary words and irrelevant but factual sounding details in order to pad up the lie.

But why do we need to lie? Won’t life be simpler if we stick  by the truth.

 ALSO READ

INDIAN WEDDINGS

WALKING TIPS

WEIGHT-LOSS SURGERY REDUCES DIABETES RISK

THE BEAUTY BENEFITS YOU CAN GET FROM CARROTS

http://allinone-india.com/category/lifestyle/

No comments

IBM Freshers Walkin Drive

IBM India Walkin Bangalore

IBM India Walkin Bangalore IBM India Walkin Bangalore Technical Support 28 Jun – 1 Jul 2016 Frehsers / Experienced Job Category : ITES | BPO ...