Kolkata: Star batsman Virat Kohli on Friday said he was “disappointed” at the way he was treated by the media after his failure in India‘s recent ICC Cricket World Cup 2015 semi-final loss against eventual winners Australia.
“I was personally very disappointed. I had been consistent for the last five years and to see such reactions for just one match it was really disappointing,” Kohli told mediapersons at a promotional event here. “But it was good to know some of the people who they really were… But it was truly disappointing!”
The Kohli-led Indian Premier League (IPL) side Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) is slated to take on defending champions Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) at the famous Eden Gardens ground on Saturday. Hitting back at the media, Kohli said: “At a human level, the things they said… they should be ashamed of themselves.”
Kohli got out for only one run in the semi-final at Sydney when he tried to pull a Mitchell Johnsondelivery while chasing an imposing target of 329 runs and was caught by wicketkeeper Brad Haddin. India lost the match comprehensively by 95 runs to surrender their title defence.
Apart from his failure in the crucial game, the 26-year-old Indian vice captain had a low-key tournament, with only a century in India’s opening game against Pakistan at the Adelaide Oval.
The flamboyant cricketer also had a run-in with the media in the midst of the World Cup when he abused a journalist of a leading English daily mistaking him to be another scribe who had written adversely against Kohli during his failures in India’s tour of England.