Vegetable Biryani Recipe
Indian cuisine is packed with flavor and the liberal use of fresh vegetables, legumes, yogurt, rice and other grains make it inherently healthy as well. Spices form the backbone of Indian cooking, and although the list of spices and techniques used to prepare some recipes can be intimidating, they provide tantalizing layers of flavors in a matter of minutes. Whether you’re preparing a quick curry for an easy weeknight meal or a medley of dishes for an Indian-themed dinner party, you’ll find these recipes to be healthy, flavorful and delicious.
Vegetable Biryani Recipe – This delicious South Indian style Vegetable Biryani Recipe is a cinch to make & tastes mind blowing if you have fresh vegetables. Great recipe for Lunch and Dinner. The Vegetable Biryani Recipe is among the all-time favorites dishes of kids and Adult makes its way into the lunch box with ease along with curd salad.
Prep time: 25 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
Total time: 50 mins
Cuisine: South Indian
Serves: 2 to 3
- Rice (Seeraga Samba or basmati) – 2 cups
- Mixed vegetables – 1 cup (Carrots, French beans, potatoes & Green peas)
- Onion, big – 2
- Tomatoes, big – 1
- Green chilli, slit – 2
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Mint leaves – 1 handful
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Coriander powder – 2 tsp
- Red chili powder – 1 tsp
- Garam masala powder – ½ tsp
- Lemon juice of ½ a lemon
- Water – 4 cups
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Ghee – 1 tbsp
- Coriander leaves – for garnish
- Cardamom – 2
- Cinnamon – 2 inch
- Cloves – 3
- Marati moggu – 2
- Star anise – 1
- Bay leaf – 1
- Wash the rice well and soak them in water. Cut the vegetables to 2 inch length pieces. Cut the onions into juliennes. Chop the tomatoes. Wash the mint and coriander leaves and chop them.
- In a pressure cooker heat the oil and ghee, add the spices Bay leaf, Star anise, Marati moggu, Cloves, Cinnamon, Cardamom and saute them till they turn a light brown and u smell the nice flavors of them.
- Add the onions and saute till they turn slightly brown. Now add the ginger garlic paste, green chilli and the tomatoes and saute till the tomatoes goes mushy.
- Add the turmeric, coriander and chilli powder and fry till the raw smell disappears.
- Now add the cut vegetables, mint leaves and saute them for 5 minutes till the masalas coat them well.
- Remove any excess water from the rice and add the rice to the vegetable mixture and mix well. Pour 4 cups water and add the garam masala powder and salt adjust you need. Close the lid and cook for 2 whistles.
- Remove pressure immediately and squeeze in the lemon juice and mix lightly without breaking the rice. Garnish with coriander leaves before serving. Veg biryani is ready.
For Curd salad:
- Cucumber – 2
- Onion, big – 1
- Tomatoes – 1
- Fresh thick curd – 1 cup
- Salt – to taste
- Chat masala powder – ½ tsp (optional)
- Coriander leaves, chopped – 1 handful
- Cut the cucumber into small pieces. Cut the onions into juliennes. Chop the tomatoes. In a mixing bowl pour the curd and lightly beat it. To this add the cut cucumbers, onions, tomatoes, coriander leaves, salt and mix well.
- Refrigerate till u serve and before serving sprinkle the chaat masala over the salad. Cool Curd Salad is ready to serve.