Vastu Principles Fundamentals and Tips for Your Home
House is heaven of women. Every woman wishes that all persons residing in her house should become happy and prosperous. Vastu shastra is an ancient Indian science/philosophy of Vedic origin that deals with proper construction of a house. An age old technique, Vastu defines building of homes in sync with the natural forces. A vaastu perfect home not only attains complete harmony with natural forces, but also brings in prosperity, good thought and sound health to its residents.
Vaastu in Sanskrit means nature, a surrounding or environment. The word “Vasthu” came from vasthu, denoting any object existing such as house, shelter, building, etc. Lord Vishwakarma has developed and given us the Vastu Shastra for the upliftment of the society. Vaastu Shastra is a study that dictates the form size and orientation of a building, in relation to the plot, soil, surroundings and the personality of the owner.
There are certain basic Vastu principles that are considered Vastu-logically correct for the making and designing of the house. Following these principles, while constructing a house or even choosing one would be highly beneficial and advantageous. Read on to know more about the fundamental principles of vastu.
Vastu shasta gives importance and relevance to the eight cardinal directions. They are north, south, east , west, north-east, north-west, south-east and south-west. After fixing the north and east points for the construction of a building, the rest of the building can be mapped out
Buildings are nothing but a mass of vibrating energy. When superimposed on the drawing of the house, this understanding gives full importance to the doctrine of orientation. In other words, the diagram below shows where the entrance, hall kitchen, bedroom, bathroom, etc. should be located.
Aesthetics of the building
Having constructed the building according to Vasthu Sastra, Here importance is given to the proper arrangement of part of the building to give a balanced appearance.
Vasthu Sastra of your house, it is imperative that you understand and distinguish between direction and quadrant. The direction that you or any object (wall ,door) face or point towards is the north indicated by a compass needle.
The quadrant, on the other hand, is the section of the building or plot where you are. Divide the building or plot into nine squares; each square is a quadrant.
Vastu Principles & Tips for Your Home
1 At the time of making a building, make sure that it has open space on all sides. The levels of open spaces should be higher in south and west sides and lower in north and east side.
2 Shape of the plot should be either rectangular or square. These are better than irregular cut ones. Also, the plot should be slopping towards the north & east or northeast.
3 Doors facing south are not at all advisable.House next to temple or grave-yard should be avoided.
4. The south-west corner of the building should be built in such a way that it can bear the weight of the whole structure of the building . This area receives more heat and therefore Vasthu Sastra suggests that the walls in this area be made thicker. The northeast direction should not be burdened with heavy structures.
5. A house which has mango, banana or a jamun tree in the vicinity is not considered auspicious. However, a peepal tree in the west side at some distance from the house is considered auspicious. So is an Imli (Tamarind) tree if it is in southwest direction of the house.
6. A house with anaar (pomogranate), ashoka, chandan, champa, chameli, gulaab (rose), nariyal (coconut) & keshar tree around is considered auspicious.
7. At the time of making a building, make sure that it has open space on all sides. The levels of open spaces should be higher in south and west sides and lower in north and east side.
8. No one should sleep and seat under beam of iron. In case you construct more than one floor, prepare the first floor on Southwest. The height of first floor should not be more than the ground floor. Also, ensure that there is no storeroom on the first floor.
9. The entrance of the house should ideally be in the northeast, east or north direction. This would bring in good luck, prosperity and harmony in the house.The sun rises in the east and its rays are a rich source ,which is vital for the sustenance of life on earth.The early morning rays, which emit less heat, are the best. Doors and windows in the east would allow the sun’s ultraviolet rays to bestow light upon the occupants of the house. This is reason the east and the northeast entrance are given the most prominent place in Vasthu. This is followed by north, the direction of wealth, fame and prosperity.
10. The head of the family or couple’s bedroom should be on southwest corner of the building. According to vastu, the bedroom should be positioned in southwest, south or west direction of the house and while sleeping head should be kept in south or west direction. Light colors for Bedroom walls are good choice.
11. Kitchen should be kept in southeast or in northwest only. Person should face east or north when cooking. Kitchen should be located in the Agni Kund. Ideally, it is best to have the kitchen in the southeast. In case you cannot have it in the southeast direction, one in the northwest or east direction is also favorable.
12. The living room of the house should be in the east, north and northeast directions
13. The study room should be designed in such a way that you study facing east or north side. The ideal colors for the study room are yellow, white or pink
14. In case you have a big house with an extra room, make the room in the north west or northeast direction as guest room.
15. Since center denotes Brahmasthan, make sure it is free from any sorts of obstructions. There should be no beam, pillar, fixture, toilet, staircase or even a wall or lift.
16. South, west or southwest directions are advisable for electronic instruments and apparatus
17. Paintings and statues in the house are also an important consideration to make when it comes to vastu shastra. Picture depicting war, violence or any negativities of life like sorrow and struggle should not be in the house.
18. Important cupboards should be kept in such a way that the person opening it should face south direction.
19. Mandir or puja room should be kept in northeast. One should seat facing east when praying, and, should use silver utensils and wear silk dress.
20. Everybody should face east or north while eating
Above are some suggested arrangements of areas, rooms in relation to the different activities of the proposed building, their proportions as well as rituals for successive stages of house building. Following Vastu helps to create a positive vibration within the home or building, which leads to harmonious relations with members of the home/building. As a result, peace and prosperity are bound to follow.