TOP TEN NEWS OF THE DAY
1. Rath Yatra festival being celebrated in Odisha, Gujarat and West Bengal; Millennium’s First Nabakalebar Rath Yatra marked in Puri. Two persons killed and 20 injured in a stampede during Jagannath Rath Yatra in Puri.
2. Fresh ceasefire violations in Poonch and Kerni sectors of Jammu and Kashmir by Pakistan; 5 persons injured.
3. Southwest monsoon active over West Bengal, Karnataka and Kerala; Widespread rain expected in central, north and east India over next 5 days.
4. Eid-ul-Fitr celebrated with religious fervour across the country.
5. Area under sowing of Kharif crops goes nearly 60% up as compared to corresponding period last year following good monsoon.
6. Indian national, held in China for alleged terror links, released and deported home.
7. Central Bureau of Investigation registers a preliminary enquiry into the death of 9 persons alleged link with Vyapam scam in Madhya Pradesh.
8. Prime Minister Narendra Modi convenes a meeting of all NDA partners on Monday, a day ahead of Monsoon Session of Parliament.
9. In Iraq, at least 90 people killed in suicide car bomb blast.
10. Rohan Bopanna and Saketh Myneni lost to Artem Sitak and Marcus Daniell of New Zealand in the Asia-Oceania Davis Cup Group-I tie.