New Delhi: Anti-corruption activist Anna Hazare began a two-day protest against Modi government’s controversial Land Acquisition Ordinance at Jantar Mantar on Monday, the day when Budget Session of the Parliament also commenced.
Hazare is holding the protest to demand the withdrawal of the anti-farmer amendments to the Land Acquisition Act, 2013.
Here are the live updates of the events:
- HM Rajnath Singh and Amit Shah will apprise PM Modi on all matters that we discussed during the meet, says Ananth Kumar.
- Had detailed discussion on issues being raised by farmer organizations on land ordinance: BJP leader Ananth Kumar on party parliamentary board meet.
- Anna’s protest saw a group of about 100 students from an engineering college in Bijnor in UP turning up to offer their support for the farmers’ cause. Donning their college uniform and sporting ‘Anna caps’, young boys and girls of the RV Institute of Technology (RVIT) were seen waving the tricolour and chanting “Anna, Anna” at Jantar Mantar, where they have come to fulfil an initiative taken as part of their college fest, as per PTI.
- We told Anna ji we will join his protest, land acquisition bill is against farmers, adds Sisodia.
- AAP to join Anna’s anti-land ordinance protest tomorrow at Jantar Mantar at 3 pm, says Delhi Deputy CM Manish Sisodia.
- Kejriwal meets Anna Hazare along with Deputy Delhi CM Manish Sisodia.
- Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal arrives at Maharashtra Sadan to meet Anna Hazare.
- Voicing strong opposition to the Land Acquisition Ordinance, the Assam Government on Monday extended full support to social activist Anna Hazare in his fight against the Ordinance, according to PTI.
- Congress leader Mani Shankar Aiyar on Monday said that the Land Acquisition Ordinancebrought by the BJP-led government at the Centre was not in favour of the farmers. “This is not only a movement of Anna Hazare but everyone is angry. We [Congress] brought the Act [Land Acquisition] for the betterment of the farmers of this country that too with the support of the BJP,” Aiyar told ANI.
- Bharatiya Janata Party’s parliamentary board meeting over land acquisition bill will be held today evening at Home Minister Rajnath Singh’s residence. Prime Minister Narendra Modi will not attend the meeting.
- Anna Hazare ends his address.
- The law was framed by both Congress and BJP after coming to power in 2013. However, after coming to power with majority, the NDA government framed this law. What was the need when the Act was passed in 2013?(Continue to next page)