Coriander Rice Recipe or Cilantro Rice Recipe
Coriander Rice recipe South Indian cuisine is packed with flavor and the liberal use of fresh vegetables, legumes, yogurt, rice and other grains make it inherently healthy as well. Spices form the backbone of Indian cooking, and although the list of spices and techniques used to prepare some recipes can be intimidating, they provide tantalizing layers of flavors in a matter of minutes.
Whether you’re preparing a quick curry for an easy weeknight meal or a medley of dishes for an Indian-themed dinner party, you’ll find these recipes to be healthy, flavorful and delicious.
Coriander rice is always good for Health. Coriander paste is added while cooking the rice which gives bright green color to the cooked rice. No dry spice powders require to make this coriander rice. Few whole spices are added in the oil which makes it so fragrant and mild flavored rice.This coriander rice is good for lunch box (kids or adult). Pack some yogurt or raita or pickle on side to make it a meal.
Recipe type: Main Dish
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 35 mins
- Coriander or cilantro – ¾ cup, packed
- Green chili – 2 small
- Ginger – ½ inch piece
- Garlic – 4 cloves
- Water – 2 tablespoons
- Basmati rice – 1 cup
- Oil – 2 tablespoons
- Cloves – 2
- Green cardamom – 2
- Cinnamon stick – ½ inch piece
- Bay leaf – 1
- Onion – ½ cup, sliced
- Potato – ½ cup, cubed
- Cauliflower – ½ cup, cut into bite size florets
- Green peas – ¼ cup
- Carrots – ¼ cup
- Salt – to taste
- Water – 1½ cups
- Wash basmati rice in a running water until water runs clean.
- Soak the rice in enough water for 15 minutes. Drain that water and keep aside.
- While rice is soaking take all the ingredients of paste in a blender and make a smooth paste.
- Heat the oil in a pressure cooker on medium heat. Once hot, add cinnamon, cloves, bay leaves, green cardamom and sauté them for few minutes.
- Add onions and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add cauliflower florets, potatoes, green peas, carrots and salt. Mix.
- Add rice and paste. Mix well and sauté for a minute.
- Add water. Put the lead on and also whistle.
- Crank the heat to high and allow it to whistle 2 times and then turn off the heat.
- Let the pressure go down by itself.
- Open the cover and fluff the rice using fork and serve hot.