Chettinad Mutton Chukka Varuval.
Serves – 3-4 Person
Serving suggestion – white rice, sambar, rasam, appalam
Prep time – 15 mins
Cook time – 15 – 20 mins
To Cook Mutton (pressure-cook)
Mutton / Lamb – 1/2 kg
Water – 1-2 cup
Turmeric powder – 1/3 tsp
Jeera powder – 1/2 tsp
Bay leaf – 2 nos
Cinnamon – 1 stick
To Roast & grind
Fennel seeds – 2 tsp
Poppy seeds – 1 tbsp
Red chilli (dry) – 10-12 no (adjust according to heat tolerance), this adds color to the dish
Corriander seeds – 1 tsp
Peppercons – 8 nos
Garlic – 4 pods
Ginger – 1″ piece chopped
For the Gravy/ Masala
Oil – 2 tbspSmall onions – 10 nos
Curry leaves – 1 spring (8-10 leaves)
Salt – to taste
1. In a pressure cooker add the cleaned chopped mutton/ goat/ lamb pieces, along with one bay leaf and 2 cinnamon stick and turmeric powder. Place the lid and weight and let it cook completely for 8-9 whistles until tender.
2. Switch off and let the pressure gradually reduce, remove the mutton pieces, and reserve the mutton stock for soups.
3. In a wide pan, dry roast all the ingredients mentioned under to roast and grind one by one. Let it cool down and make a course powder using a mixer.
4. Now in the same pan, add oil, splutter the curry leaves, add the chopped onions saute for 3 minutes until they turn brown.
5.Add in the cooked mutton pieces mix well, add the ground powder and salt, mix and cook in medium to low flame covered for 4-5 minutes until well combined.
6. Check for salt and spice and adjuct accordingly.
Serve along with white rice, rasam/ sambar and papad.