Chennai Floods: Chennai is experiencing unprecented downpour of rains, The rains in Chennai have virtually broken a 100-year record with one day’s rainfall covering a month’s average! Its no wonder that the City is flooded and the unabated rains are leaving a trail of destruction and devastation, derailing life in the city and wreaking havoc on the common man.
Flights, Trains to/from Chennai cancelled
All operations at Chennai airport have been stopped for rest of the day and 22 trains to and from Chennai have been cancelled. Several trains have either been cancelled or diverted due as flood water has reached above the danger level mark at several railway bridges on Chennai-Gudur section of the South Central railway.
Heavy rains continue to cripple Chennai and parts of Tamil Nadu in what is being called the worst rain in a century. In the wake of the flood alert issued in parts of Tamil Nadu, the Chennai Corporation on Tuesday announced emergency contact numbers for all the regional zones in the city. With the MET predicting more rain in the next four days, the state government issued a flood alert today.
Chennai Helpline Numbers
Rescue operations are on on a large scale and the Indian Navy and Army have been pressed into service. Here are some useful helpline numbers for anyone stranded in the floods or needing help.
Indian Navy’s helpline number in Chennai: +914425394240
Navy Helpline 044-25394240 promulgated and manned 24×7
The Indian Army’s helpline: 9840295100
For Flood Rescue: call Major Surya Kumar G (Indian Army) – 0 83940 00074
Helplines for boat services:
Ola Boats: 7708068600
And for Ola Cabs: 04428294121
NTL Boat helpline: 7708068600
Chennai corporation helplines
The Chennai corporation has released a few helpline numbers for people affected by the floods.
Tree fall, waterlogging – 1913
Sewage overflow – 45674567, 22200335
State Emergency – 1070
District Emergency – 1077
Electricity – 1912
Fire & Rescue -101
Other Chennai office numbers areawise:
1st Regional Office (Tiruvottiyur) – 9445190001
2nd Regional Office(Manali) – 9445190002
3rd Regional Office (Madhavaram) – 9445190003
4th Regional Office(Tondiarpet) – 9445190004
5th Regional Office(Royapuram)- 9445190005
6th Regional Office(Thiru. Vi. Ka. Nagar) – 9445190006
7th Regional Office(Ambattur) – 9445190007
8th Regional Office(Annanagar) – 9445190008
9th Regional Office(Teynampet) – 9445190009
10th Regional Office(Kodambakkam) – 9445190010
11th Regional Office (Valasaravakkam)- 9445190011
12th Regional Office(Alandur) – 9445190012
13th Regional Office (Adyar)- 9445190013
14th Regional Office(Perungudi) – 9445190014
15th Regional Office(Sholinganallur) – 9445190015
Here are some other helplines dedicated to providing food, blankets and rescue efforts for those stranded:
(information as posted on Twitter)
Chennai Trains Information
List of cancelled/partially cancelled trains:
Trains cancelled on 1st December, 2015
1) Train No. 22870 Chennai Central – Visakhapatnam Express is cancelled
2) Train No.12621 Chennai Central – New Delhi Tamilnadu Express is cancelled
3) Train No.12840 Chennai Central – Howram Mail is cancelled
Trains cancelled on 2nd December, 2015
1) Train No.16031 Chennai Central – Sri Mata Vaishnodevi Katri (Jammu Tawi) Andaman Express is cancelled.
2) Train No.12077 Chennai Central – Vijayawada Janshatabdi Express is cancelled.
3) Train No.12842 Chennai Central – Howrah Coromandel Express is cancelled.
4) Train No.12656 Chennai Central – Ahmedabad Navjevan Express is cancelled
5) Train No.22611 Chennai Central – New Jalpaigri Express is cancelled.
6) Train No.22403 Puducherry – New Delhi Express is cancelled.
Trains partially cancelled on 2nd December, 2015
1) Train No 12711 Vijayawada – Chennai Central Pinakini Express is partially cancelled between Gudur and Chennai Central.
2) Train No 12712 Chennai Central – Vijayawada Pinakini Express is partially cancelled between Chennai Central and Gudur.
Train cancelled on 2nd December, 2015
1) Train No. 12078 Vijayawada-Chennai Central Jansatabdhi Express.
1) Train No. 15120 Manduadih-Rameshwaram weekly Express is diverted to run via., Chennai Egmore, Perambur, Jolarpettai, Salem, Karur and Dindigul.
2) Train No. 22404 New Delhi-Puducherry (Weekly) Exp is diverted to run via., Chennai Central, Perambur, Katpadi and Villupuram.
3) Train No. 12642 Nizamuddin-Kanniyakumari Thirukkural Express is diverted to run via., Chennai Central, Jolarpettai, Salem, Karur and Dindigul.
4) Train No. 12664 Tiruchchirappalli-Howrah (Bi-weekly) Exp is diverted to run via., Villupuram, Katpadi, Chennai Central.
- A statement issued by Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa says, examinations of all state board schools, which were originally scheduled from December 7 onwards will now be held in the first week of January next year.
- All operations at Chennai airport stopped for rest of the day, all flights stand cancelled.
- A road caved in at Madhya Kailash signal in Chennai on Tuesday due to heavy rains resulting in massive traffic jam at the major intersection. The road connects the IT hub with other parts of the capital city.
- Educational institutions in Cuddalore, Tiruvallur and Villupuram districts and in the Union territory Puducherry have also been asked by the administration to remain close.
- People were forced to commute on boats in Chennai as waterlogging left the city inundated. Last week, rain water entered a government hospital forcing the staff to evacuate the patients out of their wards.