Carrot Rice Recipe
Carrot Rice Recipe– This delicious South Indian style Carrot rice is a cinch to make & tastes mind blowing if you have fresh grated carrot. Great recipe for Lunch and Dinner. The Carrot Rice is among the all-time favorites dishes of kids and Adult makes its way into the lunch box with ease along with any side dish. The addition of Carrot makes this rice dish nutritious as well.
Recipe type: Main Dish
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 35 mins
Cuisine: South Indian
- Carrot, medium – 1
- Cooked rice – 1 cup
- Onion – 1
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Fennel seeds – ½ tsp
- Cinnamon stick – 1 inch piece
- Bay leaf – 1
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Channa dal – 1 tsp
- Peanuts, roasted – 2 tbsp
- Green chilies – 2
- Whole dry red chilies – 4
- Ginger, grated – ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Lemon juice – 2 tsp (optional)
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Chop the onions and green chilies finely.
- Grate the carrots and keep aside. You can also use a food processor.
- Heat a wide pan with oil.
- Add cinnamon and bay leaf and sauté for few seconds till the aroma arises.
- Add mustard seeds and fennel seeds and let the mustard splutter.
- Add urad dal, channa dal, whole dry red chillies, peanuts and fry for a few seconds till the dal changes in color.
- Add onion and sauté till it turns to a light pink.
- Add grated ginger, curry leaves, grated carrot, green chilies, turmeric powder, salt and cook over low flame for 3-4 minutes till the carrots get cooked well.
- Add the cooked rice and toss well while cooking over low flame till it gets mixed with the veggies.
- Take off fire. Sprinkle lemon juice all over the rice, if using and mix well.
- Carrot rice is ready.
- Serve hot the Carrot rice with any side dish of your choice.