Here are the health benefits of foot massage and reflexology.
Promotes Better Sleep
Foot massage just before going to bed can help you sleep better. A soothing and relaxing foot massage will help the body unwind, improve blood circulation and relax the nerves. These in turn willencourage restful sleep.
There are certain acupuncture points on your feet that need to be massaged to promote sleep.
- Sit upright with your foot in your lap.
- Using your thumb, press in and around the large plantar pad of your big toe.
- Do this for at least 1 minute on each of the big toes.
- Next, massage the bottom of your feet for 10 minutes with warm coconut oil, olive oil or mustard oil.
Improves Blood Circulation
Due to sedentary lifestyles, most of us do not use the muscles of our feet properly. Also, improper footwear like tight shoes hamper normal circulation in the feet.
You can improve your blood circulation with 10 minutes of daily foot massage. This in turn will help transport oxygen to the body’s cells, which is essential for overall health. Needless to say, you also need to opt for proper and comfortable footwear.
Foot massage will also stimulate the lymphatic system and help prevent varicose veins.
- Put any massage oil in your palm and rub it firmly on your foot for several minutes.
- Then, stroke the foot gently but firmly from toes to ankle with your fingers.
- Finally, give a gentle massage to your lower leg also.
- Repeat the same with the other foot.
Helps You Relax
After a long tiring day, the best way to relax is a soothing and relaxing foot massage, particularly after a long day of standing and walking around, when our feet tend to swell up.
Also, foot massage gives you energy by releasing any blockages that hold back energy and relieving symptoms of stress and fatigue.
Regular foot massage of 5 to 10 minutes before going to bed can improve feelings of general well-being. Always use warm oil for foot massage so that it easily penetrates deep in the skin. Also, use gentle yet firm strokes.
Continue to next page…